NF gear drive 3pt lift installation--what's the trick?

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

NF gear drive 3pt lift installation--what's the trick?

Post by Jeff in Pa »

I'm attempting to install a rear lift on my 122.

When I installed the same one on the 125, I could slide down the bar ( item 4 ) with item 3 attached. Not so on the 122. A mounting ear on the trans to the outside frame rail is in the way.

So I took out the cotter pin, slid down item 4 and although I can put item 3 in place, there is no room to get the cotter pin in :evil:

What's the trick here? Do I have to disassemble the IH helper spring to drop the shaft/ foot rest assembly?

Thanks
Jeff
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Re: NF gear drive 3pt lift installation--what's the trick?

Post by l palma »

Jeff you take the red pill and it will make you smaller,like in Alice in Wonderland.
Then you take the cotter pin(ooooo to big now) and slip it in the hole.(oooo it's heavy)
Now bend the cotter pin over( ooooo pliers are too big!! and heavy)and you should be good to go.

The easiest way I found was not to take the red pill and take the blue pill and all we be fine.
First you take the ratchet stop for the lift arm off.Then you slide the lift bar up to the lift arm and attach # 3 on the lift bar . I use a needle nose pliers to put the cotter pin in the hole but I don't bend it over until I attach #3 to the lift arm.Use the longest thinnest pliers you can find. On a 125 it is not necessary to remove the ratchet stop because the space where the lift arm is,is larger on a 125 than a 122.Compare and you will see the difference.
Last edited by l palma on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lonnyb
First and Last Name: Lonny Buttke

Post by lonnyb »

Getting the cotter pin in the hole in part #3 can be done but it is a real pain. :evil:
I suggest putting the cotter pin in befor you bolt it to the lift arm, and it a big help of you temporary remove the notched locking C shaped thinggy to get as much room to work with a long pair of fish hook remover plyers, some refer to them as surgical clamps.

OOppss a couple mintes slow, but hopefully you will prevail with the help provided.
Last edited by lonnyb on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

You mean roach clips :lol:

ljones
First and Last Name: Lucas Jones

Post by ljones »

I just put one on my 122 last week, I was able to fit my big hands in there to get the cotter pin in, but I just realized I put the end with the bushing to the front, so I guess when my new bushing arrives I will have to mess with the cotter pin two more times :shock:
Have a original and a 122 http://mycubs.yolasite.com/

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Thanks Lew and Lonny for the tips :beer: I'll remove the ratchet plate in the morning. The "universal adjective" was getting a little too much use so I called it a night. :mrgreen:

Lucas, your hands can't be as big as mine as mine don't fit in that little space. :lol:

Lew, that's not a roach clip, it's a forcep for when I'm fishing :twisted:

ljones
First and Last Name: Lucas Jones

Post by ljones »

Jeff, I guess I got fortunate I got my hands down in there as far as I could and accidentally droped it and it fell in the hole. :lol:
Have a original and a 122 http://mycubs.yolasite.com/

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Removing the rachet plate and spacer worked. Got it in place, bolted fast and then took a long 1/8" cotter pin and put it in from the top ( by the lift handle ). Took a long punch and smacked it down. ( I enjoyed that part :twisted: ) Then I bent one end over with a long screwdriver

Then it was time to install the rear lift with the Brinly assist spring. I had purchased this lift with the Brinly spring assist. It had the bracket welded on ( no slipping with this :lol: ) The only difficult part of this installation was getting the spring back far enough to attach the bracket. A 12" pry bar ( like what is used in roofing ) worked perfectly to make it easy to attach the bracket.

Success :beer: